Wednesday 21 September 2011

We sightsee, therefore we are.

Turns out, St. Louis is fantastic for seeing stuff.

The St. Louis Art Museum is free and will be hosting Monet's Water Lilies starting next month. Fridays are free, but you have to have a ticket, so I'm going to get on that pretty darn quick.

Learning a place without a constant online feed means that I've finally found a use for my constant need to pick up any piece of literature with a pretty picture on it that I can. Not surprisingly, the most useful item so far has been the Bike/Pedestrian map of St. Louis. It is a good size and has very complete information (with the single exception of one way arrows). I am look forward to taping it to my wall (my walls are made of concrete. Every apartment in my building is in its own concrete shell. Take that 'pocalypse.). I feel that there will be a tour of the restaurants in my neighborhood for the purpose of collecting every menu within a mile of the place.

Which covers a pretty wide area. I was impressed. And will be walking quite a bit, I think. The bus will be used - muchly, as will the MetroLink, but walking is the preferred mode of transport. It doesn't require gas or waiting or a pass, and outside of needing new shoes it doesn't take any special equipment. Legs are awesome, yes?

We also visited the Missouri History Museum and were exhausted by the time we got back to South grand, so Mama treated to sandwiches at Mokabe Coffee. I had a Reuben. It was of a good size and quite tasty.

Today we found and wandered around Soulard Farmer's Market. I will totally go back there - it is a year-round market and what we saw of the produce was beautiful. The prices seem right and many people have eggs. Ah, farm fresh eggs. Life is good.

Kakao saw us purchase one Sea Salt Caramel and one Chili Caramel. The inside of the Jeep watched us inhale them very slowly over about a block.

Tomorrow we head north to get the rest of my stuff, and with blessings and good weather and a good bit of Moving Karma Luck, I'll be moved all the way in by the time Sunday noon rolls around.

There's more, but not for now.

No comments: