Monday 26 September 2011

Day the first


One of the random and always unexpected side effects of efficient and effective unpacking is the sense you have on your first full day alone in your new house that you’ve been there for almost a month already, and shouldn’t you have found that job by now, and isn’t it laundry day, and why haven’t you got a trash can for the bathroom yet?

The part where it is Monday is no great help. Monday brings with it the sense of getting around to doing things: phone calls and appointments and ironing and accomplishment. It’s bad enough that it is also the day that begins the working week in whatever way it damn well pleases, but it shows up at your door with a bag of toys and tells you that you have to play with them all by 1 pm or the week is worthless and you might as well call in useless and never leave your bed. And we – we silly creatures – we listen!

Humans have no sense of when to just shift their expectations. None. This is why we spend gajillions of dollars letting alien life forms shaped as familiar looking human beings motivate and inspire and organize us. They are the beings who understand how to change perspective. Not we fragile, ego centered, water sensitive little things. Oh, to revel in a hangover inducing constantly shifting kaleidoscope of human interaction and points of view. Obi Wan would shit himself in bliss.

I’ve unpacked just more than half of my boxes and things (when the hell, by the bye, did I acquire so much clothing?)(who the hell wears that much stuff?)(where am I going to put it all?!?) and while I’m enjoying the sheer randomness of my book arrangements and the ability to get to all of the books that I brought with me, there is something lurking under the surface that has been bubbling for the last 24 hours or so.

What’s with the stupid decisions we make? Not like buying a house or getting married or having kids or picking one career, no. I mean like having three cans of Cream of Tartar or 30 safety pins in no container or still moving around the plant hanger bracket thingies that got left when the last husband got kicked out. You know, the really stupid decisions. I own a bungee cord that has the diameter of a bloated fly. It is tucked away in a box that also holds extension cords and adapters and wonderful sorts of truly practical and used items. I didn’t throw it away. I was in shock and decided to just repack the useless with the useful and walk away from the whole thing like it never happened.

Living in an apartment, especially when it is decided that this will be a not permanent arrangement, has freed me up to make some interesting calls about just how much of my sentimental keepsake kind of stuff I’m going to keep around. It’s not getting thrown out, that’s just crazy talk. There is room now in the file drawer for new files. Also, there is room on the book shelves in case I buy a book sometime in the next 12 months. One book.  Yeah. That part’s going to suck.

Waking up this morning to curtain covered windows and books on shelves and a table just waiting for me to sit at it with tea and a journal and some breakfast and a delightful book (that hasn’t been checked out since 2003. Which is a crime, if you ask me. I’ve read the book before, and find it informative and gentle and humorous. Other people should be reading it as well. But there is no place for me to add a review and encourage other people to read it. Perhaps I will just suck it up and throw reviews up everywhere other than the library’s catalog. But that would be far too reasonable.) was kind of unnerving, and has lead in no small part to the general sense of pressure expressed above. Even though I know (a lot) that today is my first full day of the rest of my life. It is not possible to get everything done RightNow. And it shouldn’t be tried. Gentleness is advocated by the cats and friends and sometimes even other people. Patience is what it is usually called. But Gentleness allows me time to clean the apartment and use the time I have as I will find joyful and rewarding.

Last night’s entertainment involved not closely watching a Sherlock Holmes mystery on the TV. The tape played some of the sound and most of the picture. Not enough to be watchable, but it got me thinking about the kinds of things that the stuff in one’s home says about how time in it is spent. Informationally speaking, of course, not with value judgment or to determine how handy you will be at distracting Aunty Lydia from the dessert table during the annual memorial to Uncle Biff’s monumentally ridiculous attempt to bake a cake from scratch on a pontoon boat during a water-skiing show (The cake fell. So did Uncle Biff). But, like how predictable you could be to someone of a Sherlock Holmes/Sheldon Cooper/Hermione Granger brain in case of disappearance or boredom.

It does make the still packed boxes that much more intriguing to me, pretending that I can see my life objectively – truth be told, though, we’ve all known those moments of re-definition when stuff that’s been yours and then has been in a box suddenly returns to you and we all know how disconcerting it can be to see the things of your life as if on a list of characteristics. I like opening them and wondering just what inspired me to put that cake pan in with the typewriter and why are there so many scarves in with the shampoo and will I ever actually need those movie ticket stubs?

It is probably best that this is a thought that simmers and occasionally vanishes altogether. There are still boxes of bits and ends and old magazines and lengths of fabric to deal with in something like a rational manner. And now that I know where the Cream of Tartar is, I can avoid buying more.

I should probably see if I can find an alien life form to help.


No comments: