Tuesday 1 February 2011

From the desk of me

I've moved the furniture around a bit. Mostly in fits of irritation that I've accomplished so little else. Ever.

Also, I like moving furniture around. It's an environment thing. Every season saw a new arrangement in our living room, and I frequently moved the things in my bedroom about as well, in mimicry. I am good at a certain amount of mimicry.

I'm going to buy a very odd lamp and octagonal end table (with storage) once the weather clears up and I can get to work to get my paycheck and put the things on hold.

Anyone who has ever lived in a house with limited closet space will know the struggle of the storage tubs. I do not make things any easier for myself by beginning to collect books for the library that I will eventually be involved with creating. It's five years hence, at least, and yet: literary criticism and anthologies of literature and BF Skinner have taken up residence on the floor of my office.

The cats are restless today because of the wind and the snow and the fact that because of the wind, the snow does not look the same out of every window. Out of the east windows everything is horizontal and apocalyptic. The world to the south is merely blanketed and falling.

And everywhere is chaos. And everywhere go my prayers. I do not worry that there will be no wind to carry them, not in this weather.

I have been happy in the water of Carl Sagan's voice and Cosmos these last few evenings. The show is very specific and careful and yet utterly odd feeling in its organization. The music is familiar and makes things like Coilhouse's blog archive that much more fun to see.



And Warren Ellis tells me of fab blog that I need to read, and now will, and so can you! The Beat: The News Blog of Comics Culture

Dark Roasted Blend has a whole page for Steampunk stuff and links to more of it. That is today's moment of beauty.

My afternoon is undecided. The Chronology of Librarianship, Philobiblon, Possession and browsing the catalog at Lincoln City Libraries for the books of library history I've already read all vie for my attention, as do the lap-seeking cats who seem to find peace only in the act of keeping some human or other firmly attached to a chair.

I may prefer more Cosmos (I'm only on episode 4, after all) to all of that. But I will need to be careful: I've discovered that I'm inadvertently crocheting with my hair.

Be well.
Be safe.
Be joyful.

No comments: