Wednesday 9 February 2011

Head in a Trashcan Day

Cold cold cold out there. Just like most February days.

I wrote in my journal this morning, a feat which lead to many smiles, and also to the search for a notebook as yet unfilled. I found one. And there was rejoicing in the land. Well, not in the land of Ethel, who has been following me around for the last several days just waiting for me to provide her with lap. She spent several minutes with her head in a trash can earlier this morning. I was adding books to my LibraryThing account and generally being internally brilliant. The head-in-a-trashcan move was her way of staying entertained. I don't think it was a message of any kind.


I really shoulda got a picture. Hm. Well - here's one of her hanging out in the rungs of an upturned bar stool. Just so you know that this is a Thing That Happens in my house.

Probably just over half of my books are now on my LT account. Interestingly (well, to me), (I'm having comma placement issues) about half of the books listed in my LT library are not in my physical library. They belong to proper public or university libraries or are just for wishing upon. le sigh. I am considering the paid upgrade. Honestly, it's not like LT isn't incredibly useful and made of a fantastic community. Book nerds, baby, Book nerds. Another le sigh, shall we?

Since I got the 1st issue of Nix, I've been reminded of writing that I want to do that is not (repeat Not) Mary Sue fiction. I am so stupidly excited about this that I cannot even tell you. I really will have to go and find my skinny and elusive drawing friend. We will discuss things. And then I will discuss other things, less like fiction and more like libraries with another person. And I will make a Valentine this weekend.

*headshake*
But back to the part about writing: I just like reading and writing non-fiction better than anything else unless it's well-done fairy taling or has visual art to go with it (comic books, my dears, comic books (only not superhero comic books unless there are no supe types with bulging bits and scanty cloths covering them (it's not good story-telling and does nothing for the readers (at least not when the readers are me)))) (also, didja ever notice that the Doppler effect of nested parenthetical expressions only ever goes in one direction - like the words are just headed toward you but will never get there because you've already read them and then gone on by the time all the closing parentheses have their say?) (yes, this is a thing that I thought of while trying to go to sleep last night.) (you should hear me go on about sandwich making) (I'm actually not joking there.)(at all)(it's the only part of Mostly Harmless that I liked right off the bat.)

Right. Non-fiction. So I write a couple of reviews yesterday afternoon, and one of them was fairly well-written about a book that I've not really got any emotional attachment to, and one of them was a piece of dreck. Absolute dreck. Brilliant! I can write terribly, post it on the internet, share it with people I'd really like to like me and still sleep well at night and still be a desirable source of heat for the heat-seeking feline (who is curled up wedged between my wrists as I type this. She's got one paw down on my thigh for support lest I move too suddenly and she roll off the desk. It's a smart thing for her to do. I am a bit UnpredIctaBle. *snerk*).

Also, and this is the Big Main Point: I skimmed a few old journal entries after writing this am and found that this is a time of year that makes the difference in the rest of it: when I write and read and organize and blah de blah de dooby doo, it matters in ways that are terrifying and positive and show up sometime in the early summer. My Lent begins in just under two weeks, and I'm terribly excited about it. Partly because it means that I get to spend 40 days (no breaks for a Sabbath in which I do not believe or fasts that will do nothing but build jealousy and self-righteousness) doing the things that I love to do without anything that distracts me from them.

Last year's Lenten experience was tremendous, altho a bit more Puritanical that this year''s will be. Nice thing about learning: you can change how things get done.

Update: Ethel did it again and this time I grabbed the camera just in time!

No comments: