Tuesday 30 October 2007

oh, that’s right - I’m having issues

So, our glorious football team (American style) lost again last weekend. Pedersen is gone (remind me to cry over a sad movie later) and Osborne is back in the stadium, although not as coach.

I have a few observations to make:
1) fair weather fans suck and it's about time the athletes starting talking back
2) heard a rumor that someone has come up with the money to buy out Callahan's contract
3) if that happens, we are the coach-for-4-years school

1) I grew up in the Chicago. The Bears won the Super Bowl one year - 1. It was in January of 1985. They beat the Miami Dolphins 64-14. The only game they lost that year was against the Dolphins. I started moving before the Bulls had Jordan. No one in my neighborhood followed hockey as loudly as they did football, and did I mention the baseball? No. You know why? Because they lose. They lose a lot. They always have and it's okay. In the long run, I am a White Sox fan. When in the position to choose a side, I root for the Sox or whoever is playing the Cubs. It's the rule. Even when they suck. Why? Because they're my team. I know nothing about stats anymore and couldn't name a player if you paid me. I would go to a game in a heartbeat and will take any White Sox merch over anyone else in an instant. Why? Because they are my team. I don't care if they lose all the time. I don't care that the way things work with the Sox is that they do really well for a while (anyone remember what year they got a pennant thing? it wasn't all that long ago) and then, they suck. The Bears used to be a 3rd quarter or 4th quarter team. They made it work. And then they won the Super Bowl. 1 year in the 10 that I lived there. It's about not hogging the spotlight. It's about the sport, not self-definition. I am, of course leaving out the part about McMahon's unmanageable ego and Ditka's perfect hair. The point is that while I love how energetic Husker fans are, I do not love how much people seem to depend on the Husker football team for their self-definition. Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but why else would someone accost an athlete who is also a college student with the kind of negativity that has been getting reported in the Whirled Herald? What kind of a person feels justified in yelling at someone on the street that they suck? (Unless you are me and it's someone you know and don't care about) I see nothing good from that, I see nothing heartening about it, I see it being destructive and if I were the Huskers, I'd pay the hotdog shooter guy to shoot loaded dogs straight at the fans who are booing from the stands. That is not how to cheer on your team. It does not show support.

2) So, you've got 5 million dollars and you want to buy out Callahan's contract, huh? I have a great idea for another option for that money - first off, though, keep your fucking mouth shut unless you want everyone in town to know about it - Lincoln is a small city, everyone knows where everyone lives and everyone knows everyone else's business. When it comes to the athletics department, particularly in times of coaching stress, this town gets smaller and people's mouths get bigger (Solich was fired for bad coaching, my ass). Take the money and buy a few homes for Friendship Home, fill them with clothes, beds, bedding, kitchen appliances, dishes, etc., hire a personal trainer, a tutor, a nurse and few policemen for each one, because for every game that the Huskers lose, more women get beaten by their husbands than when the Huskers win, and we are going to need to find a place for them and for their children when they finally have had enough of Husker fan life and have to run away.

3) What the hell is this athletics department about anyway?

Also - I weigh more than I have for about 18 months, and am somewhat distressed to find that Godiva Chocoiste dark chocolate with caramel only has 180 calories in it. The gremlins are fine and growing, although Boris is growing faster and more than Ethel who is a lemur-slinky. I swear that creature has no bones - she's all nose, claws and fur. They are both very lovey still, and Horace and Boris's relationship is calming down and is now mostly based on grooming. We'll see what happens when the nephew comes to town (toddler attack!).

No comments: