Sunday 28 October 2007

The thing about socks

I just threw away about 5 socks and four pair of underwear. The reason for this is as follows: plastic tubs on sale at Pamida, therefore there was buying, therefore there was using, therefore there was some consideration for the number of socks and underwear I own and so, some of them had to go. I threw away socks that had holes in them. As I don't match my socks, as a rule, and so don't have to deal with the pain of finding the single one, it's not like there should be any big deal about it. There are certain things not to keep - socks and underwear with holes fall on this list.

And yet. I haven't thrown away a sock that wasn't practically lace in years. And I mean like Years - more than 2. My socks are tough. They can stand on their own with any other sock I choose, they got drug around the house by Til who liked to think they were her kittens (did anyone else (Anne) notice that she stopped doing that when Wigs had her first litter?)(I just realized it.)(I think she went to scarves and sweaters after that), and now they suffer from the affectionate rubs and clawings and occasional attempts by Ethel to pick them up and carry them away while they are still on my feet. I collected them like they were a drug after Joe and I split. Anne was the one who noticed that I was developing a problem with the dollar sock bin at Walgreens.

But, But, But - Dollar Socks!!!

And now some of them are gone. Probably more than some of them, but that's not the point, my current pain is the point - focus, please.

I wonder: how many socks are too many socks? Same for underwear. Bras, too. We are talking about functional foundation wear only. Because I've lived with people (husbands) who seemed to think that the best way around having to wash underwear was to buy more. I never got that. But, maybe someone else does - I don't know.

Anyway, I'm kind of sad now. I'll live. The felines are being distracting and demanding and wonderful and Cloud is staring at me as if I was the one responsible for levitating her food bowl away from its rightful spot and into the microwave. Well, I am, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm going to read a book and contemplate something. I haven't decided yet what it will be.

No comments: