Monday 10 October 2011

Quest for the Lilies pt 2.


Agapanthus is a lovely, stalky, showy water flower that appears nowhere in the painting that bears its name. It is very easy to say that more is suggested than appears on these canvases, but I get ahead of myself.

This last Friday, I was one of the many who took advantage of the museum’s Free Friday Exhibitions to see The Water Lilies by Claude Monet. I did pay to rent the audio tour, partly out of curiosity and partly to help block out the sounds of my fellow exhibit-goers. In both of these, I was amply justified. Again, getting ahead of myself.

We ticket holders gathered in a gallery across the Sculpture Hall from the exhibit. I got a post-it note on the back of my driver’s license with the numeral 1 on it to hand over for my iPod. The gallery we waited in is one of the European Art galleries, devoted to the Grand Tour expressed primarily through landscapes.

Landscapes are the kind of work that I have to look at closely before I have the sense that I’ve seen anything, and that is difficult because I generally don’t like them. Judith cutting off Holofernes' head? I’m there. Saint Francis staring at a skull a la Hamlet? I want it on a magnet. The view of Tivoli? Sure? I guess? I blame the television.

I read a whole book on how nature has been represented and thought of by humans in terms of patriotism, nationalism, character, morality, etc. There are oodles of plates of landscapes, and I looked at them and I understood what Schama was saying about them and nothing felt forced. And yet, well, I don’t get it, but there it is. Throw a knife in the hand of a woman shaming her husband into committing suicide by demonstrating for him and I will find everything to say about the furrowed brows, the great swath of color in her robes, the deep darkness of the backgrounds, etc. But a wander through threatening boulders? Meh. Barely an adjective. It occurs to me that going to see the Monet may have been an odd decision in light (ha!) of that preference.

The group was asked to start to line up 5 minutes before our ticket times. We immediately formed a perfectly straight queue in the middle of the room, providing slalom for the talkative and very knowing man in the wheelchair whose wife(?) must have been forever in the wrong if his constant statements of correctness and criticism were any indication of his behavior in private. Viewing the painting of St. Peter’s brought him to state that the gallery is too small and that the paintings should be high, up high, not at eye level. (I will here say that the glaring of the track lights off the works does make close inspection a bit awkward) At our appointed time, we crossed the entry way (Sculpture Hall) and got our iPod thingies and walked into the quiet of black and white photographs, water gardens and the museum curator comforting the art-hopeless through the work of seeing art.

I’ve never owned an iPod. This was my first chance even to use one. I think I could get the hang of it, as long as I have an idea of where the volume control is. And that is my only complaint about the audio experience: there were times when it was too loud. No ear buds, instead the headphones were fitted with soft and cushy pads. There was no loud clicking of play buttons or metallic sliding of cassettes or clunky anything. It’s a brilliant development in self-guided tours. Truth.

As you walk into the exhibit, you are greeted with a large photograph of Monet and another large photograph of the water garden. There is a bit of verbage about the dates of the work (1915-1926) and an introduction on the iPod. The next gallery is dark and quiet with a soft bench and a projected video of Monet painting in the garden at Giverny. I watched the video and welcomed the peaceful musical interlude provided there. The video is about 2 minutes long and is on a continuous loop, and the music is excerpts from pieces inspired by Monet’s work.

The next gallery held verbage about the garden, a very quick biographical sketch of M. Monet and a black & white photograph of the triptych taken in 1921.

The next three tracks on the iPod discussed the three studies on the walls of the next gallery: two of water lilies and one of Agapanthus. The colors, brush strokes and suggested shapes rather than finished representations are well worth the time to stand still for a minute, off to the side, and just look at the work the painter is doing in them. The curator of Modern and Contemporary art at the museum, Simon Kelly, gives what I found to be helpful information and a way into the pieces. He offers general observations about color scheme and focuses your attention on one or two details in each piece that act as an anchor for viewing.

The Triptych is along the far wall, opposite the door you walk through. I cried. It is nothing to say that though, because I will cry at any movie where there are moving pictures and music playing. What I mean is that something shifted when I saw the wall of shifting colors and barely perceptible definition. In a garden, everything moves with wind or changes in changing sunlight. A painting, especially one in a room with consistently controlled lighting, does not ever change, except in the viewers’ perceptions. As such, if the artist wants to invoke the feeling of a water garden, the viewers’ attentions must constantly be drawn from one part of the painting to another, following lines that here are like ripples but a foot across. My eyes were not still the whole time I looked at the work.

There is a Diptych on the opposite wall, on the wall with the door. It is far less smooth, even than the others, and I found it difficult to enjoy fully. I did not want to look away from it either. According to track 06 on the iPod, Monet was legally blind in one eye and had 10% vision in the other when he did this work, which is of the reflection of wisteria swagged from the Japanese bridge over the water garden.

The exhibit ends just outside the gift shop where I traded the iPod for my Driver’s License and filled out the very quick Exhibit Survey. The gift shop, as most art museum gift shops, is a joy and while I do not know if I’m as keen on decorating my home in one city (St. Louis) with the looks and attractions of another city (Paris), the refrigerator magnets and playing cards and also the Handbook to the St. Louis Art Museum Collection and a few of the puzzles (double-sided, no less) appeal to the sense of responsible decorator in me.

I plan to go again. I would really like to do more reading on the criticism of the paintings, on the techniques that are used to preserve and study them, of the garden at Giverny and perhaps even some more biographical information about Monet himself. I hope that many people go and see this exhibit, it is not a strain on the senses, and offers a carefully created pleasant shift from the stress of day to day life and the sights of the city.

No comments: