Friday 17 September 2010

Oh, baby, it has been awhile...

On Twitter it's called Follow Friday #FF.
I used to do this because it seemed the best use of my time on Friday afternoons when I was bored and not doing work at work. I miss it.

This is a list of things that make me smile or captivated:

Freakangels
I read at Whitechapel that this will end after the 6th volume. We are now about half way through volume 5. Yes, they are and will continue to be available as trades, but there is something lovely and immediate and taunting about waiting for Friday morning and the potential for a Skip Week or a flashback or even more gut-squirmingly gorgeous images and dialogue.

Everyone is reading Unshelved, right?
RIGHT?
Right.

I reconnected with my GoogleReader this week. It was nice, getting rid of all the old, unread and unnecessary old stuff and really focusing on the present, with the knowledge that the temptation of understanding will win out over any qualms I have about hours spent reading archives. Public art holds a place in my heart that was happy to be rediscovered.

Beauty from and thru Wooster Collective...

... Tape Art in Slovenia
... Stinkfish (compelling and entrancing and I don't care if I can never read the language on the page, it is beyond words)

And then, then there is fora.tv.
I've actually bothered to do the whole having-an-account thing. The profile does a thing which made the commitment worthwhile: it tells me what I have watched and what I'd like to watch (I tell it that part (it is not mind-readerly (ew))). Programs are tracked in ways that are not limited to tags, which is refreshing. The Long Now Foundation hosts many lectures, about 61 of them are available for viewing through fora.tv at no cost (there is a paid-for-it account that allows greater access to the videos on the website, but I'm having a blast without it. Truly.). No cost for an hour of lecture? Yes. Yes much.

Lord Martin Rees speaking about the cosmos is easily my favorite. Astrophysicists ask incredible questions and find intriguing ways to answer them.

Wade Davis speaking of the importance of cultural diversity and its maintenance is a program that I will be happy to watch again and again. His delivery belies a life spent around campfires and in tents and close places where people speak many words without interruption and think carefully before doing so. It is worth noting that this talk is preceded by a shortlong film that is breathtaking.

Next on my list of programs to watch is Fun Inc,: Games as the Business of the 21st Century because duh!

The world is a beautiful place.
Enjoy it.

No comments: