Monday 29 November 2010

It's the waiting that gets me...

Christmas has landed at our house, and I'm glad of it, because I will be halfway around the world over the holiday and am indulging myself in vacuumed floors and sappy movies and family memories.

Except tonight. Tonight I am waiting in my office for the arrival of dinner guests. yes, it's hiding. of course, it's hiding. I'm a 37 year old English major who knits and watches TV shows obsessively on a regular basis, all of my friends live hours away and I have nothing (NOTHING) viable in common with most of my age group. I'm nervous. And hiding from my father's friends.

I never claimed to be a good daughter. I just make them laugh. And cost them money. And occasionally make soup. Oh hush, I make damn good soup!

Also, I avoid reading my Twitter page. It matters to know this. Because do you ever do that thing where you haven't read your last several months worth of blips and then decide that right now you absolutely have to take it all in without any kind of context - you know, just like everyone else sees you?

Me either.

Except that today, I'm hiding, and that means being ready to pounce out of the office and down the stairs at any moment, so as to be a responsible and respectful co-co-host of dinner and not embarrass my dad. We're not even going to go into how impossible it is for me to Not embarrass the people that I love. Ready-to-Pounce means no TV shows or games or long ass image threads of brilliant. It means five minutes maximum focused on anything. Which means Twitter.

I read my page.

I'm seriously considering locking myself in this room with the cats until dinner is over.

I wonder if my mom would bring me a cupcake ...

3 comments:

Mark Seifert said...

I'm about your age, and I think the elaborate holiday festivities of our parent's and grandparent's generations are gradually fading away with the passing years.

Smaller and more casual is the way to go, if you can convince the family of that. Let yourself enjoy the holidays. ;)

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Sarah EJ said...

To be perfectly fair, Avatar - we had a lovely time, it was very casual, and I got myself all tensed up for no real reason. Except for the part where I've suddenly become nervous around people. That is new, and I'm not digging it.

Having said that - you are a dear, and completely correct - it is time to enjoy the holidays! And back atcha :-)