Sunday 20 May 2007

Thoughts on the walk to work

Who am I?

I am a creature who floats in and around the world, watching the sun change the color of things all day long, leaving me serene with the coming of night.

I hear the birds and watch the faces of passersby. Critters claim my undivided attention. Moving water commands me to stop and listen, to study the colors of it as it passes rocks, grass, floating bits of debris.

Bridges hold endless fascination for me. I observe cars and their drivers, buses and their passengers.

The stoplight is a never-ending succession of individuals hiding themselves in motion and blinking lights.

Entering the doors of work, I become a part of something, of the smell and feel of books, of the words pored and suffered over and bound into some barely controllable space.

I am undefined and free from structure, autonomous in my responsibilities.

Out of my purse comes, as it must, the length of blue fabric attached to a card, defining me as Staff.

No comments: